The city of San Diego is required by law to maintain safe roads. If you have sustained damage to your vehicle, due to driving over a pothole, you may be eligible for repair reimbursement from the city. Here are ten simple steps you will need to take to get compensated for your pothole-related expenses:
- Note the date, time and exact location of the occurrence.
- Drive back to the physical location where the incident occurred.
- Park your vehicle and use a safe site like a sidewalk to shoot several photos of the pothole that caused damage to your vehicle. Take clear photos of the main and cross streets and any landmark that might help identify the location. Using a digital camera is recommended for optimal quality and because you can include your own text alongside the images, using any basic graphics program on your PC.
- Obtain statements from any witnesses to the incident, including any passengers riding with you at the time.
- Gather all invoices that require reimbursement, i.e. wheel repair, wheel replacement, labor, tire replacement, etc.
- Make a copy of your driver’s license, registration and insurance – proving you are the owner of the car.
- Download an automobile damage claim form Here
- Present claim by personal delivery or mail to:
The City of San Diego, Risk Management
Dept., 1200 Third Ave., Suite 1000
San Diego, CA 92101
- Make sure to file your claim no later than 180 days after the incident. Any claims submitted after 180 days will automatically be denied.
- Claim payments vary from 30-90 days but you can call the San Diego City Treasurer’s office at 619-743-9348 for an update on your case.